Saturday 14 January 2012

Saying bye to tinnitus

Hello dear blog. Here I am again writing after a period of break. I had been busy with school and kids so I could not write most of what I needed to. 

Well, I have never mentioned on this blog that I have tinnitus; an annoying ringing of the ears which is only best understood by anyone who has had it. It started 5 years ago, when I was pregnant with my 3rd baby. I did not know what it was and did not do anything about it for some months. Then I thought of making a search on the net only to find out there is a name for it and that many people suffer from the condition. The worst news is that it is said to not have a cure and that poeple just have to learn to live with it. I went to some home remedy sites and found some suggested remedies which did not work. I made an appointment with an ENT even though most people say ENTs have no clue about how to treat it. Well, the look on the doctor's face was very depressing as he gave me some drugs to take for 2 months and then return to him. It was as if he knew the drug is not likely to help. It happened that I was nursing my baby at that time and he was just 4 months old so i decided to search online as I always do before taking any medication. It was said that the drug is not safe while nursing or pregnant. I went back to the doctor days later and he assured me that there is no problem and that I can take it. I searched again  and some people said the med- called Vastarel can actually cause ear ringing. Knowing how debilitating the tinnitus can be, I was afraid that taking the drug while nursing has a risk of my baby developing tinnitus in future, and I do not even wish this ringing on an enemy, I decided not to take chances, so I did not take the medicine. I kept trying to cope with it. I tried masking the noise with the AC or the kitchen exhaust fan. Most of the time don't remember I have tinnitus as long as there is an AC or a fan on but the problem starts when I go to other people's houses and they don't want the AC on because their kids have a cold. I have to block my left hear with my palm just to stop hearing the noise. At times my ear hurts and I just try to live with it.


Recently, I found out that the reason a small scar on my body gets darker each time I try to lighten it is because I have melasma. I went to see a dermatologist who gave me some bleaching creams that contain 4% hydroquinone. I used it for some weeks and did not notice a difference. I used some other rermedies like castor oil, baking soda, shea butter but the scar did not lighten. Later a friend gave me a cream that worked to lighten the spot. I was happy to have found something that works at last. I use sunscreen on it so that it does not darken again but to my surprise it became even darker than it was before the cream in only a week. So I resolved to never use anything on it again. I went to my dear site www.earthclinic.com for advice. Most people there who have had success with getting rid of their melasma said they treated it from the inside. I decided to go that route. The 2 most recommended supplemnts were Grape seed extract and grapefruit seed extract. I could not find the latter where I live so I decided to give Grape seed extract a shot to see if it would work. I bought a bottle from GNC and started taking 500mg a day just 3 days ago. And the first thing I noticed is that my ear ringing stopped!!!. Anyone who has never had tinnitus would not know what it means to be able to sit in a quiet room without hearing some ringing sound from inside your own head. Yesterday was the first time I slept throughout the night without the help of noise from an AC or a fan. I really could not believe it. I was trying to treat melasma with GSE but it took away my tinnitus. I really pray this lasts forever! I am doing more research on GSE to understand the correlation. I read on dr Lam's (www.drlam.com) site that it should be taken for 12 weeks to treat some other condition. I don't know if it can be taken long term, but if it is safe, I would be ready to take it for the rest of my life. Also, I would share my experience on as many websites as possible to help other tinnitus sufferers. It is disheartening to see how many people are being scammed by the numerous online books that claim to cure or treat tinnitus. I always search for the reviews by independent sites and always find that it is a scam. If you read about this and know anyone that has tinnitus, please advice them to try GSE, who knows, it may just be what they need to have silence in their heads again.

No comments:

Post a Comment