Friday 18 November 2011

Low blood pressure , obesity and Anaemia

I made a post about my unexplained tiredness after eating sometime ago which I later found out it was due to low blood pressure. As I mentioned in that post, the doctor said its not a disease, just a condition and I just need to make some adjustment to my eating and other regimen to be okay.
   I  decided I would try to lose weight and see if my condition would improve. I have gained about 20kg in 9 years, between the time I was pregnant with my first child and now. I have tried different approach in the past without success. I have a problem staying on a particular diet programme for a long time. I start getting impatient if I don't see results within days...
    Around 3 months ago, I decided to try the popular low carb diet; Atkins. I lost 10 pounds before the end of the 2 week induction. I felt so happy because I had never lost 10 pounds in such a short period of time in the past. I however had to stop after 3 weeks for health reasons. I have been told I had low haemoglobin few months back and was taking Iron supplements. One of the rules of Atkins is not to take any iron supplements, not even the ones added to multivitamin pills. So I figured if my low blood pressure was (partly) due to my being anaemic, staying on a diet that forbids me from taking my iron supplements may make my low B.P. worse. Well, I started eating carbs again after 23 days of clean low carb eating, and of course, my weight crept up again. I went back to the doctor and got another prescription of Iron supplement and started taking it again. For the low blood pressure, the only thing that has worked is drinking a glass of water before my first meal  and if i have not eaten for many hours during the day,  I also drink water before eating. I may try Atkins again in future when I am no longer Anaemic. But for now, I have to find an alternative way of losing weight.

1 comment:

  1. I think Dr Atkins is in favor of any kind of meat...try to take liver to improve the anemic condition, mother always recommended lentils as well..Spinach should help raise the BP a bit..

    As for losing weight, nothing like eating regularly, but decreasing the portions. Of course, easily said than done, but give it a try...Eat (little) chocolate before food !!...yes, it seems ridiculous, but it will cut your hunger,
    Ideally, aim for one meal a day, just like the Prophet (S)...we are all still trying to accomplish that, may Allah Help us all keep healthy...

    ReplyDelete