Sunday 14 August 2011

What is in an egg?


It started a year ago, last ramadaan, when I came up with this great (not) idea of going on a reduced calorie diet during the month of ramadaan to be able to lose some weight. So I thought, since it is not compulsory to eat the suhoor (the pre-dawn meal) before commencing the fast, I will just wake up, give my kids and their dad something to eat and have a drink of water for suhoor. I figured if I don't get any calories during suhoor and then I make sure that at iftar I don't eat much, there is no way I would not shed some pounds before the completion of the 1 month fasting period.

A few days into the fast, I noticed that even though I am ok during the day, not hungry or tired, as soon as a break my fast, I start feeling tired and cranky. Not just mildly tiredness but really really get somehow lightheaded and feeling nauseous and overall body weakness and a sudden and strong need to lie down and rest and fall asleep. This is the closest I can describe it but sometimes I can't even find the right words to describe how I feel. I did not understand why this could be happening but did not even think it had anything to do with not eating suhoor. I was scared that it could be diabetes or reactive hypoglycemia. I made several searches on the net and everything pointed to blood glucose problems. I started avoiding carbs and anything that has carbs in it. Sometimes I am okay after eating and other times not. I was confused; if it was blood glucose problems I was having, why was I still feeling this way.

It happened that one day, I think because I was busy, I did not eat well at the time of breaking the fast, so I thought its better to eat suhoor so that I would not be weak during the day. I ate bread and fried eggs with the others. When it was time to break the fast, I ate the same dinner with them and then waited for the inevitable cranky feeling.

Then,

Nothing.

I was wondering why my unexplained tiredness did not happen to me that evening, thought maybe it will come later, but was pleasanltly surprised that I felt fine and energetic all evening. I went through how I spent the day in my head, did I rest more?, did I spend more time standing or sitting?, I was looking into even the silliest of things to see what I did different on that day, but could not think of any. Then I remembered! I ate suhoor and I had not done that for many days, so that has to be it. That night, I decided to eat suhoor again, hoping to be fine like the previous day, so I ate a sandwich, I think just jelly sandwich. At sunset, I ate normally and started feeling tired again. At this point, I was confused. I was disappointed. I thought I had diagnosed my ailment but was proven wrong. I called up my friend F. and told her what happened, my hypothesis and how my result did not add up. She was the one who figured out what happened. She said it has to be the eggs. She recalled that she had a friend back in the States who was having difficulty fasting after becoming a muslim. She was advised by a nutritionist to include eggs in her suhoor and when she tried it, she noticed that she could make through the day while fasting without getting hungry or tired. So for the rest of the month I made sure I eat eggs whenever I eat suhoor and I was able to complete the month of ramadaaan without my ridiculous after iftar mystery sickness.

So much for losing weight in ramadaan.
*to be contd.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting finding indeed...have you considered the first food you take at iftar? are you taking dates as recommended by the Prophet (S)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I (we) always break our fast with dates. I used to be fine after eating dates and drinking water. Its when I eat real food after breaking the fast that I get tired. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete